Vision without action is merely a dream.
Action without vision just passes time.
Vision with action can change the world.

Donate to Grace and Hope in honor of McKenna

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Who knew a Christmas stocking could hold so much meaning?

As I pulled out my Christmas decorations on Thanksgiving day (my favorite time of year!), I quickly realized that our family Christmas stockings were a bit ragged and needed to be replaced. With the birth of each child over the years, I always started over with the stockings so we would all coordinate. Our Christmas stockings are always displayed in the house during the holidays as they represent each person in the family. These stockings were 5 years old...bought when I was pregnant with Ava. While I stared at the stockings, an overwhelming feeling crept up out of nowhere. These stockings needed to be replaced not because they were worn out, but because there is a little soul out there that needs to be represented, too. It was time to start a new "stocking" chapter in our lives. As I shopped for the perfect stockings, my mind was filled with visions of our new daughter. There is so much to learn about her, so much to teach her, so many memories to create with her. She doesn't even know about Christmas yet! When I got home with 6 new stockings, I hung them across the fireplace mantle. Ava walked in and immediately honed in on the new number of stockings. The usual 5 was a beautiful 6 across. Ava pointed to each stocking and wanted to know who it belonged to. When we got to McKenna's, she walked over and gave it a hug and kiss. She spent the next hour asking me over and over again whose stocking was whose...each time, stopping at McKenna's and smiling. As I look at the mantle now and see the 6 stockings, there is an ache in my heart when I see the one at the end. I wonder to myself how I can love this little girl so much already. She knows nothing about me or her new family. She has no idea how much we feel she is part of our family already. Yes, she will be represented in our house this Christmas. Her stocking will be the reminder that even though she is half way across the world, she is near to us...in our hearts and in our minds.

I can't end this post without saying that my baby girl, Ava, turns 5 tomorrow. Happy Birthday, Ava! It's been the most amazing 5 years with you in our lives. You have grown into the most wonderful little girl...full of life, full of zest, full of spirit.

1 comment:

  1. You KNOW it's ment to be when your heart has such a mothers love for someone you only know in a picture.
    It was not to long ago when someone asked me how many kids I had and I answered FOUR. That was one of those turning points for me. I am a mother of FOUR kids. Wow! I love the sound of that.

    ReplyDelete